Monday, November 8, 2010

ET and Halloween

It has been a long time since I have seen the movie ET but when I think about Halloween I always think about this movie. Not for the reasons that would be obvious- I have never dressed up like ET or had an interest in having the girls dress up like ET. However one of the scenes in the movie was Halloween night and if I remember it was that night that ET and Elliot made the escape on the bike in the sky ( or at least that is how I remember it). Anyways, because I tend to be a person that pays to much attention to detail and can sometimes miss the big picture, I remember that in that particular scene in the background there were trick or treaters everywhere and I started to think to myself as I got older and the world seem to get more dangerous that that is how Halloween should be. I can remember when I was young and we would go out there would be people all over the street taking candy from strangers like it was a safe and normal thing to do. Unfortunately today you have to be a little more leery about the houses you go to , the people on the street, and the candy you eat. I know that there are many churches that offer the trunk or treat type events and I think that is awesome but being the traditional person that I am I really want my girls to grow up with the same experience that I did for Halloween. Lucky for us there are many other people around here that must feel the same way. For several years we have taken the kids to a neighborhood down the street and the families there have porch lights on and are waiting for all the goblins, princesses, ghosts, Minnie Mouse, and cheerleaders that the night has to offer. I have told Steve each time , " This is just like it is in ET and how I remember Halloween to be." I am so thankful that we have been able to find a community that wants to keep Halloween old school. Enjoy the pictures!

No comments: