So I was going to do a post for Addison and Carsyn because they were 41/2 and 9 months this weekend. You know just giving some"stats" and what there interest are. However my day has been less than desirable and good all in one (if that is possible). I'll start first with our Basset Hound Savannah. She hasn't been well for a few months and we finally figured out she had the mange(SP). I have no clue where she got it. Our other dog, Tillman, has shown no signs of it . They are in the same area all day every day and their crate bedding is washed weekly. Anyway we were making head way with that when we noticed last week that her right eye was red and swollen. Long story Short - dogs have a third eyelid that will get inflamed and swollen if the eye itself is injured and this is what we thought it was. I took her to the vet on Friday because it had been a week without any improvement. They found out that it was a mass on her eyelid. She had a biopsy done today and the vet is very much thinking that it is cancer. We won't know until later this week and from that point on we will decide where to go from here. The good news is right now she is not in any pain and wagging her tail like crazy. So if it is cancer then what? Do we try to treat it? Do we bring her home and wait until her quality of life starts to decline, or do we do what is probably the hardest thing and put her down? I am trying not to get ahead of myself but I can't help it. I hope to know something by the end of the week. Next is Carsyn - she had her 9 month check today and weighs in at a whopping 20 pounds and 3 oz. I am so proud that I have had babies with lots of rolls and chunky legs- I love it!! She had a great report except for two things. She has another ear infection and I got a call from daycare around 3 that she had a temp of 104. This is number 3 in 6 weeks and we are promised a trip to the ENT if she gets another. I am crossing my fingers that with it getting warmer she won't get another one. Secondly she has a umbilical hernia. I have noticed it more and more the last two months and according to the doctor it is fairly common and doesn't need intervention until she is 3-4 and that is if it is even still there. Lastly- I have been keeping up with a 5 month old baby from the Midwest who has SVT. I came across his mothers blog through an old classmates blog and for a month now I have checked in on him daily. Her blog is amazing and she (his mom) is amazing. If you have time check it out
http://www.mycharming/ kids.net . Her post have helped me put a lot of things into perspective here lately. Anyway he has been in Boston for the last few days and had heart surgery today- a very risky one to say the least - and he pulled through!! The outcome wasn't 100% what they were hoping for and some damage occurred to his heart (Mckmamma explains it very well on her blog) but none the less he is better off than he was before surgery. So I said all this to say this - my day was horrible but somehow I have managed to see the positive in every situation. Please keep baby Stellan in your prayers as he recovers and my doggy Savannah. I hope that when the time comes we are able to make the right decision.
3 comments:
Ac ouple of comments:
1) what the heck is a umbilical hernia? (you can call me with this one)
2) I hate that for you with the dog scenario. We thought we were gonna have to put Avery down a month ago, but obviously did not. Very hard- don't see Marley and Me!
3) I will so be checking that blog more closely
4) Does Addison have tubes? Gaines got them early last year and it has made teh world of difference, but Carsyn may be too young right now. Keep me posted on that one.
Cara - please let us know what you find out about Savannah. Animals are hard....trying to do the right thing sometimes doesn't feel like the right thing. We're here to chat if ya'll need to run through your decisions (if it comes to it)...being dog lovers, we totally understand how hard it can be. We'll throw Savannah into our people and animals we pray for at bedtime. :o)
Let me know when you find out about Savannah. Also sorry to hear about Carsyn's ears. She is your child. You had tubes at an early age! You just need to take her in every time she starts with the runny nose. Hope that she is feeling better by the time you read this comment. Love you all!
Post a Comment