Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Huge Event at the Baird Household

Ok so I am somewhat embarassed to say this but Addison still takes a pacifier at nap time and at night (only at home). For the record though when she was 18months old I had her broken of it and then she got sick and my spouse gave in and gave it back. Since then it has been difficult to break her of it and then we just got lazy. It did have limitations- for the most part and could only be used when she was asleep. Anyway, Addsion went to the dentist yesterday and I had been telling her that we were going to get fussed at because at the last appt. the dentist told us we had to get rid of it and we hadn't. Well Addison went and got her teeth cleaned and did great. They gave her a goody bag with mouthwash in it and she was so excited about that. When we got in the car she told me," Mommy the dentist didn't fuss about my pacie but my teeth are so beautiful that I'm going to throw it in the trash." I thought to myself this is WONDERFUL- if she will do it on her own that takes the pressure off me. Well when nap time came around guess what she asked for- she said she needed to suck on it one more time. Of course I gave in because at that moment I was getting ready to nurse Carsyn and just wasn't willing to fight. At bedtime she said the same thing and of course we gave in but not before I told her that in October when she turns 4 we are getting rid of it, period, no discussion, end of story!! Well this morning after she woke up she came downstairs walked to the pantry and said " Mommy I'm throwing it in the trash can." And she did. After she did it I could tell by the look on her face that it was hard for her to do that and that she was thinking about getting it back out but she didn't!! I am so proud of her!! Now I'm not sure how tonight will be but I have already called Steve at work and told him we are sticking to our guns this time. She willling got rid of it and we are going to stand by that. I did go back and pull it out and I will keep it as a keepsake like my grandparents did with mine. I know this is a long story but this is a HUGE deal!!!

2 comments:

Olivia said...

hey hey! I am proud of her for doing it own her own and I am proud of yall for sticking to it!! I cant wait to see yall this weekend! love yall!

robin said...

wow! good for her! that must be so tough for her! that's great though that she's showing self control.

what a cutie.