Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What I Have Learned- an Update

So today marks one month of the diet/training- actually this past Sunday was 4 weeks but the date was January 16 so anyway.  At my last measurements (Jan. 28) I was down 4 more pounds for a total of 7 pounds and had lost 2.2% more body fat for a total of 4%.  I think I lost 1.8 % at first measurement.  I measure again on Friday so we'll see what kind of progress I have made over the last 2 weeks.  To say I have learned a lot would be an understatement.  Where do I begin?  First off it is really interesting how much science plays into this as far as the carb/protein combinations that I eat and the formulas that are used to calculate measurements.  I now have a new appreciation for the major Exercise Science.  In college they were in the same building as a lot of the my nursing classes and I never really understood how an entire major could be about "exercise".  Well now I know.  I have also learned that I am stronger than I thought I was, still not as strong as Amy :), but I am  using weights that I would have never touched on my own.  I guess I just needed someone to push me and encourage me to just try.  The biggest insight I have gained though is with the diet.  I have learned that Carsyn LOVES shrimp, egg whites, cottage cheese, sweet potatoes and steamed green beans.  I would have never offered these to her in the past out of pure assumption that she would turn up her nose.  Addison is still a work in progress.  She has tried a few things but for the most part is sticking to her "picky eater" self.  She gets this honest from her father who I am proud to report has added sweet potatoes, tilapia, and brown rice to his short list of  "I'll eat that and not complain about it" foods.  I have realized that tilapia is not that hard to prepare- a little bit of Pam, salt free Mrs. Dash , and you are good to go.  I have also mastered baking chicken breast with parchment paper.  It is quick, no mess to clean , and doesn't dry out the chicken.  Oatmeal has become something I go to sleep thinking about. Before this I hadn't touch oatmeal a day in my life but my diet calls for 1/2 cup every morning- the plain  non instant kind.  I dreaded this because  I knew it would be nasty.  But I put two packs of splenda in it (which some people would say is bad b/c it is a artificial sweetener but whatever- the pollution in the air is problem way worse than my measly two packs of splenda) and it is awesome.  I am pretty sure that little bit of sweetness is what makes me think about it at night- knowing that I get to wake up and have that and coffee.   This oatmeal and egg white breakfast and the tilapia and parchment chicken will become part of my eating habits after this is done.  I have also realized that I have will power- when I want to.  I have been to a birthday party, a Valentines party, and had food brought into work on several occasions and did not cheat at all!!!  I have even had Chick-fil-a french fries in the seat next to me and didn't touch a single one.  These are the days that it doesn't bother me- the smell of the bagels in the kitchen at work- whatever I'm eating my fruit and cottage cheese, those chocolate chip cookies I am baking for Valentines Day- nope not going to happen.  But then there are days where I am pissed that I am doing this and I don't feel like measuring this or eating that and why aren't the girls eating there hot dogs and mac-n-cheese that is right in front of them and before I know it I have eaten a few M&M's or Reese's Pieces.  This is why I couldn't stay on this diet forever.  Sometimes I just need food to comfort me or entertain me.  Steve and I have both said several times through this that we feel so home bound.  We went to the movie and only got to enjoy the movie, the mall isn't as much fun, and forget having dinner with friends who aren't doing this.  On the plus side we are saving money.  So 1 month/4 weeks down and 2months/8 weeks to go.  Amy has started practicing posing and getting her routine ready for the competition.  I am really looking forward to being in the audience living vicariously through her and cheering her on.  After this is all said and done I think the hardest part is going to be figuring out how to maintain and balance this healthy/clean eating with eating for enjoyment.  But I'll worry about that later.  Just for fun I have posted a upper body pic. With each update I'll add another picture and then at the very end if your lucky I'll put all the  pieces of the puzzle together for an entire picture.

Wow I need some sun!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Look at those biceps! ;o) I think you look fantastic! And, I couldn't do this without you! Thank you so much!